Blandford Schools’ War Memorials

The war memorial plaque at The Blandford School comprises three parts: The Blandford Secondary School memorial for WW1; the Blandford Grammar School memorial for WW2; and the Blandford Upper School memorial for the Falklands War in 1982. Not shown on the plaque are the names of former pupils of Milton Abbas Grammar School (which was Blandford’s Grammar School until 1929). This site is intended to record the life stories of ALL the former masters and pupils of these four Blandford schools. This reflects both the wider catchment area of those schools and that schoolmasters came to live in Blandford from all over Britain. This site is the end result of at least 1500 hours of research across online resources, networking, and archival research since 2012. Comments and contributions are of course very welcome indeed….


The original school building pre WW1 showing the waterpump arch which was converted to become the memorial gateway in the 1920’s

Serjeant John Davis Royal Engineers

Lieutenant William Ormesher

Rifleman Ralph Robinson

Private Bernard John Arscott, Somerset Light Infantry.

Private William Henry Bastable

Private Sydney Broadbent

Captain Alfred Douglas Cherry & Private Kenneth Charles Cherry

Private Heywood Francis Cluett

Captain Reginald William Durdle

Private Bertie Hunt Ford

Private Gilbert Arthur Fry